Digging For Roots

Digging For Roots
In the Deep South

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday

Family Treasures

This means something different to everyone I'm sure. For some it may be valuables; like jewelry, silver, or art work. For me it is the items that bring back a memory or cause me to think about a family member that I can no longer spend time with. These items are not valuable by monetary standards but to me they are irreplaceable.


The metal bowl was used by my Grandpapa Cole for shaving, according to my Mama he used an old fashioned razor (possibly a straight razor) and brush to apply the soap. I don't remember actually seeing him shave but I knew this was his. My Grandmama kept it after he passed away and found some use for it, I think as a foot soak. When Grandmama passed in 2003, Mama had me and my sister come to the house to see what we would like as mementos and keepsakes. I'm pretty sure this was the first thing I grabbed.


The cabinet, is a working Victrola that my Daddy purchased before I was born. It has a crank handle that attaches to the side ( I keep it stored away, as it is a great temptation to little hands) and uses steel needles. I have all the original 78 LP's he had and have added some over the years, from estate sales and flea markets. Very few people actually recognize what it is and it weighs a ton! It is one of the very few things that I have of my father's, he passed away in 1974 when I was 6, so it is a treasure in my household.

What do you consider a treasure? Do you have any family treasures?



~ Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments I appreciate each one!